1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Power of Prayer, Part 1

I think we've all heard the expression 'the power of prayer', but have you ever put it to the test?

When I was little, I was taught that there was no wrong way to pray. So, I would always say a prayer before I went to sleep and I would begin by thanking God for everything he had done for me, my family, and then my friends. Then I would send up my 'requests': Please help me get good grades on my homework, please help Granddaddy feel better... 

 Then, one night when I couldn't sleep, I remembered something my Sunday School teacher had told us. When she couldn't sleep, she knew it was because there was something on her mind, something she should pray about.

Well, I couldn't think of what it was that I should be praying about, after all, I had already said my prayers that night. So, desperate to fall asleep, I began a prayer that went something like this:

Dear Lord, 
Thank you for everything you've done for me, my friends, my family and for-everyone-I've-ever-met-in-my-entire-life. I ask that you be with them and help them with whatever they need. Amen.

I think I covered all the bases with that one, but as broad as that prayer may have been, I think we can learn something from my childhood conversations with God.

Ephesians 6:18 says, And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

As Christians, we are obligated to keep our brothers and sisters in Christ in our continuous thoughts and prayers. Why should that be exclusive to anyone? This verse reminds us to pray for ALL the Lord's people.

So, next time you find yourself praying for those dearest to you, remember those you've only met and perhaps those you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment